20 June 2011

Alexander Calder


This artist is very dear to me. With no previous knowledge of arts i started studying sculpture at Leeds Art college at the age of sixteen. I remember trolling through the sculpture section of the library just trying to find something that I could vaguely relate to or find inspiring when I came across a very special book titled Calder's World. And so Alexander Calder became my favourite artist. The work of his I loved the best was The Circus. It was enchanting, resourceful, dedicated, beautifully crafted and just wonderfully silly.




Watch this video, it's lovely. He would do little performances like this every now and then for his friends and family.



Now it's five years later and I've left sculpture way behind, gained a wealth of knowledge about the art world and firmly found my place within design. Yet still, I am as completely charmed and disarmed by Calder as i was that first afternoon that i did stumble across him in the library.. I would like one day to do a project that pays tribute to Calder's ingenious Circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment